Merrillville, Indiana is a city located in east-center Lake County, in the Chicago metropolitan area. It is part of Ross Township and is a major commercial center in northwestern Indiana. Before English settlement, the area was a forest that belonged to the Potawatomi Indians. In 1834, for ceremonial purposes, a clearing called McGwinn Village was created.
The following year, Jeremiah Willgins settled in the area and changed its name to Wiggins Point.After his death in 1838, the town was renamed Centerville and then Merrillville, in honor of the Dudley brothers and William Merrill. In 1848, the post office changed the name of the settlement to Merrillville. At the time, the town included a store, a blacksmith shop, a cheese factory and the California Exchange Hotel. The railroads crossed Merrillville in 1876 (later Chesapeake & Ohio) and in 1880 (Chicago & Grand Trunk), opening links to Chicago markets. During World War II, Merrillville was a typical Midwestern farming community.
In 1971, it officially became a city under Indiana law. The incorporation was voted on by the majority of Ross Township residents who lived within a certain border line that was shaped by our founding fathers.Today, Merrillville is an important commercial center in northwestern Indiana. It is home to many businesses and industries that provide employment opportunities for its citizens. The city also offers a variety of recreational activities for its residents and visitors alike.